07/28/2006 21:03 Filed in: Faith & Reason
Above: Modern-day Israel with Lebanon to the north.
Currently, Israel and Lebanon are at war, but there was a time in ancient history that the region had strong alliances.
Consider the following, mostly from the 10th Century BC:
1. Multi-generational alliances: 1 Sam 5:11; 1 Kings 5:1.
2. Worker-exchange programs: 1 Kings 5:13-14; 7:14.
3. Free trade of food and resources: 1 Kings 5:10-11.
4. Contributions to Israel's religious life: 1 Kings 5:6-18
5. Contributions to Lebanese building projects: 1 Kings 9:19
6. Political marriage unions: 1 Kings 16:31 (although this would not prove positive for Israel)
7. Resources for Jerusalem's reconstruction: Ezra 3:7 (5th Century BC).
Below: Trade routes in Solomon’s time, showing principal imports and their sources.
So, what the heck happened?