Here you will find the Newton Desktop Utility and the Newton Data Browser, for backing up your Newton Messagepad data to a PC or Mac, install Packages, and much more.
Do you have trouble selecting a .pkg file on the Mac (OS 7-9) for upload by one of the various Programs (e.g. NCU)? Then try this tool which, when you drop your .pkg file onto it, will change its File Type to "pkg " and its Creator Code to "1NCU".
Download here (15 KB)
Current Version: 1.5.2, released Feb 25, 2001 (Mac OS PPC and Windows, no 68K, no Mac OS X!)
Note: If you need a software to sync your data with your desktop computer, and if you have Mac OS X, try NewtSync.
Note 2: If you want to upload packages via IrDA (infrared) to your Newton from a Mac with IrDA (e.g. PowerBook, some iMacs), try the IrDA Package Installer from Jerome Vernet, which may give you better results than my software. Also, search the other sites for Escale, which is a package installer for Mac OS X.
What it can do right now
- Connect your Mac or Windows PC to your Newton via Serial, AppleTalk (Mac only), IrDA (Mac only) or TCP/IP (Mac and Windows!)
- Browse all soups on the internal store, and edit (add, modify, delete) them.
- Find text in your Newton's soups
- Upload packages
- Send a NewtonScript commands (or function) to the Newton and retrieve the result back on the Desktop.
- Retrieve any soups from the Newton and store them as a backup on your desktop computer.
- Open (browse) soups stored on your desktop computer.
- Use your Desktop Computer for typing on your newton (same as with NCU)
- A Newton with OS 2.0 or 2.1 is required. Older Newtons with OS 1.x are not supported.
- Macintosh computer with a PPC processor running Mac OS 7 to 9.2.2 or a PC with Windows 95 or later.
- Due to technical limitations, Mac 68K processor support is not available
Features planned for future versions
- Sorry, there's not going to happen much any more...
Download the last official version 1.5.2 (released Feb 25, 2001)
- Macintosh version [681KB] (PowerPC only, no 68K support!)
- Windows version [636KB]
- Complete source code [508KB] (in Stuffit archive format - to expand under Windows, use Aladdin Expander)
Download the last "unreleased" development versionThis version may work better or not. Try at your own risk (and do not try out the new operations under the "Object" menu or you'll likely destroy data on your Newton! Seriously - that was a work in progress which never worked out).
Note: this is the Application only - get the rest from the above "official" version.
Macintosh developing tools and information
This site is part of the
Apple Newton Web Ring.
[Add your own] [Random] [List all]